Established in 2015, the Alliance of Social Workers in Sports raises awareness of the ways in which social work practice can partner with and contribute to all levels and all segments of sports. ASWIS promotes a social worker in sports perspective that is grounded in social and economic justice, strength-based approaches, and person-in-environment frameworks. ASWIS encourages the full range of social work practice in sports, from case management and clinical services through advocacy and policy practice for every level and segment of sports.
ASWIS finalized its incorporation in June 2016 and become an official 501(c)(3) in March of 2017.
The Alliance of Social Workers in Sports maintains a telehealth provider list that is shared with various sport-based organizations. We also have a vetting process for sport social workers interested in being listed on the mental health registry for the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee. To be considered for either of these lists please email the following information in a single Word of PDF document to .
(1) Mental health discipline (e.g., social work, psychology, counseling)
(2) Primary State/Province of Licensure
(3) License Number
(4) To what specific athletes do you provide services? How long have you provided these services?
(5) In what capacity do you provide services (sole provider, consultant, contracted provider, in-house provider etc.)?
(6) Please discuss your training and/or supervision in providing sport social work or related services.